Coding Regional Lymph Nodes Positive
Regional lymph nodes positive is used to derive the AJCC N component and stage grouping for certain primary sites.
- Record information about only regional lymph nodes in this field. Involved distant lymph nodes should be coded in the "CS Mets at Dx" field.
- This field is based on pathology information only. If no LNs were removed for examination, or if a lymph nodes drainage area was removed but no LNs were found, code as 98.
- Record the total number of lymph nodes removed and found to be positive by pathologic examination, cumulative through all first course procedures.
- Use code 99 for primary sites Placenta, Brain, Cerebral Meninges, Lymphoma, Hematopoietic, Reticuloendothelial, Immunoproliferative and Myeloproliferative, Ill-defined Sites and Unknown Primary neoplasms.
- If no nodes examined, code as 98.
- Positive aspiration is coded to 95.
- Any combination of positive aspirated, biopsied, sampled or dissected nodes is coded to 97.
- Do not count positive distant nodes.