Review: Anatomy of the Prostate
Here is what we have learned from Anatomy of the Prostate:
- The prostate is a gland of the male reproductive system. It is located in front of the rectum and just below the bladder, the organ that stores urine.
- The main purpose of the prostate is to produce fluid for semen, which transports sperm during the male orgasm.
- The prostate consists of a base, an apex, an anterior, a posterior and two lateral surfaces.
- The prostate is divided into several lobes: the anterior lobe, the median lobe, the lateral lobes (left and right lobes), and the posterior lobe.
- The prostate is also divided, by scientists, into different zones according to their function: the central zone (CZ), peripheral zone (PZ), and transitional zone (TZ).