Review: Anatomy of Colon and Rectum
Here is what we have learned from Anatomy of Colon and Rectum:
- The entire colon is about 5 feet (150 cm) long and is divided into five major segments. The rectum is the last anatomic segment before the anus.
- The right colon consists of the cecum, ascending colon, hepatic flexure and the right half of the transverse colon.
- The left colon consists of the left half of the transverse colon, splenic flexure, descending colon, and sigmoid.
- Regional lymph nodes include:
- Ileocolic lymph nodes
- Pericolic lymph nodes
- Presacral lymph nodes
- Retrocecal lymph nodes
- Inferior mesenteric lymph nodes
- Superior rectal lymph nodes
- Major components of bowel wall are:
- Muscularis propria
- Serosa (visceral peritoneum)