Histology-Specific Coding Schemes
- Melanomas (8720-8790)
- Kaposi sarcoma (9140)
- Retinoblastoma (9510-9514)
- Lymphoma (9590-9699 and 9702-9729)
- Mycosis Fungoides (9700-9701)
- Hematopoietic and reticuloendothelial system (9731-9989)
- Malignant melanoma of the skin, vulva, penis and scrotum (C44.0-C44.9, C51.0-C51.2, C51.8-C51.9, C60.0-C60.1, C60.8-C60.9, C63.2)
- Malignant melanoma of conjunctiva (C69.0)
- Malignant melanoma of uvea and other eye (C69.1-C69.4, C69.8-C69.9)
- Malignant melanoma of other sites (Code to site of origin)
For cases with all other histologic types, the correct scheme to use is determined by the primary site code.
Each scheme has the applicable primary site codes and histologic type codes clearly stated.
It should be noted that the appropriate scheme to use for treatment coding may be different from the scheme used for coding the Collaborative Staging data set. For example, an extranodal lymphoma of the stomach treated surgically would have Collaborative Staging coded using the lymphoma scheme, while the surgery would be coded using the stomach scheme. See treatment coding rules in the SEER Program coding manual or the FORDS manual for more details.